Profile image for mjhudston

Why exactly was Chippenham shut yesterday?

I went into town, yesterday around 1:30 in the afternoon, and I was very supprised how only a few shops were actually open.

There were a considerable number of people wandering around very confused as to why nearly every shop was shut. It's a bank holiday and parking was free, it could have attracted many people for the sales, but no.

I think may retailers in the town missed a trick, and have set a money losing precedent!

By mjhudston at 19:48 on 02/01/13

Re-post           

• Profile image for nhavergal

I always find each business has their own way of dealing with the Christmas festivities and New Year. Some open and some don't.

I believe closing for Christmas fair enough but New Year's? I don't get why they would be closed. Odd.

By nhavergal at 13:39 on 03/01/13

• Profile image for chippersdip

Surely shop staff are entitled to celebrate the new year without having to worry about being hungover at work.
    Many retailers open at a loss on New Years Day as staff are paid double time and the few customers that do spend buy sale items with little or no profit.
    It's a sorry state of affairs when the only thing people want to do on a bank holiday, especially new years day, is go shopping.
    If shops should open, so should the banks, public transport should run, offices should open. Why is it a holiday for all but retail staff, their not an emergency service.

By chippersdip at 22:18 on 18/01/13

• Profile image for mjhudston

I think it's a sad state of affairs, that the only thing people want to do on New Years day, is waste it nursing the hangover, because they follow all the other sheep and get ****ed the night before!

Yes Banks, offices etc should be open! I would love to not have to spend 8 days of my holidays entitlement, on days that I don't choose!

By mjhudston at 09:34 on 19/01/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent