Snowfall and now ice warnings across Wiltshire
By nhavergal | Monday, January 21, 2013, 12:38
Many of us enjoyed some of the snowy weather over the weekend but as the snowfall has stopped, temperatures are still below freezing.
Warnings of ice across Wiltshire and more snow on the way will put drivers and walkers at risk when out and about.
Last night temperatures went as low as -6 degrees.
Here are some tips on staying safe while having fun in the winter weather:
• Do not go out in snow or on icy pavements unless your journey is necessary.
• If a journey is necessary, take a warm drink and blanket in the car incase of being stuck in traffic.
• Salt pathways and driveways near your home and around your property. Do not use boiling water as concrete will crack.
• Make sure your car is fully de-iced and visibility is good before setting off on a journey.
• If you need to brake while driving, gently pump the brake and gradually coming to a stop.
• Do not feel pressured to meet speed limits. Some roads will be gritted but others will have been left.
• Keep children off icy areas and keep them away from frozen rivers and ponds.
Wiltshire Council has assisted with gritting major roads across the county however other roads maybe left.
Have you been enjoying the snowy weather? Tell us about it here!